Frequently Asked Questions
We’re here to help you develop your writing, whether you’re an established writer looking of inspiration or a beginner wanting to know how to get off the ground. We get asked lots of questions about our courses (you might even have some you’re dying to ask yourselves) so here are some of our most frequently asked ones and our answers…
- Do you do courses for total beginners? Yes we do. Our courses are all labelled with suitability and we also have information in the categories section beneath the course description. If a course has the ‘beginner’ category on it, then it’s suitable for total beginners.
- I’m not an absolute beginner – what about courses for me? Many of our courses are suitable for writers at all levels or for those with some experience. Have a look at the label or the category – if it says ‘suitable for writers at all levels’ it will probably be the right level for you. If you feel you have a little more experience and are looking for something more advanced, then look for the label/category ‘for writers with some experience’.
- I’ve been writing for a long time and want to develop my craft/skills. Look for a course labelled ‘for writers with experience’ or the ‘experienced writer’ category.
- I’m not a student and I don’t have a degree, can I still take one of your courses? We welcome writers of all abilities regardless of experience and academic qualifications. If you have a hankering to write, then join one of our courses.
- Your courses seem a little pricey to me, especially for struggling writers. At £120 for a six week course our prices might look a little expensive at first glance, this is true. We offer courses at full and concessionary rates that work out to about £20 per 2 hour session: this is roughly a meal for one with a drink, 6 cups of posh coffee or 2 paperbacks – all lovely things but with our courses you get to meet friends every week and in some of our venues the coffee’s free! We pay our tutors a decent hourly rate (higher than some education institutions) because they work hard preparing and delivering their classes, and we pay venue hire. Writing School courses often just about cover their costs. If a course is cancelled, it’s usually because, sadly, it hasn’t attracted enough participants to break even.
- Do you offer discounts? We do offer discounts occasionally. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter or sign up to our mailing list for updates.
- Other creative writing schools offer bursaries, do you? We currently do not offer bursaries at the Writing School. Writing East Midlands offers free Critical Reads with The Literary Consultancy for writers on low incomes.
- How do I book a course or workshop? You can book online through our website www.writingschooleastmidlands.co.uk by Paypal, Bacs transfer or cheque made payable to Writing School East Midlands Ltd and post to Course Bookings, Writing School East Midlands Ltd, Unit 4, The Garage Studios, 41-43 St Mary’s Gate, Nottingham, NG1 1PU. Tel: 0115 793 4110.
- Nottingham only – unless indicated on the course description, you can also book all Nottingham courses over the counter at Waterstones.
- I’ve booked my course and heard nothing back from you. What’s happening? When you make a booking you should receive an automatic receipt of payment. Shortly after you should also receive an acknowledgement of your place from the administrator. If a course is cancelled, we will let you know as soon as possible. If you haven’t received anything from us within 2 weeks of booking, please do get in touch.
- Do you publish people’s work? The short answer is no because we don’t have the resources to publish work, but we do know a lot of publishers and magazines who can probably point you in the right direction. The best place to go for information about writing and publishing opportunities in the region is our sister company Writing East Midlands.
- As our website develops we’re hoping to include work from Writing School participants in our My Writing School section. Watch this space!